Miguel G. Farra
CPA, JD, Chairman of Tax and Accounting
Miguel G. Farra, CPA, JD, is the Chairman of the Tax and Accounting Department at MBAF, overseeing the firm's nine offices. As Chairman of the Department, Miguel leads MBAF's team of highly skilled tax professionals working with clients both domestically and internationally in a variety of industries ranging from banking and manufacturing, to wholesale/distribution, real estate and healthcare. He brings more than 38 years of experience working with public corporations and high net worth individuals. Miguel is highly sought after for his forensic accounting expertise, and often serves as an expert witness in divorce and commercial litigation cases. He is a qualified expert with the United States Tax Court, Miami-Dade County Circuit Court, and the Broward County Circuit Court.
Miguel is also highly respected for his knowledge of corporate reorganizations, international tax and corporate structures, tax planning for real estate developers, and income and estate planning for high net worth individuals. He is as adept in international matters as he is with domestic tax situations, often working with our international tax professionals on voluntary disclosure cases, pre-immigration planning, and creating corporate structures to minimize worldwide taxation and ensure international tax compliance. Miguel also specializes in tax compliance for banks and bank holding companies, and the tax consequences of failed financial institutions receiving federal financial assistance from the FDIC pursuant to Internal Revenue Code Section 597.
Miguel has lectured at the University of Miami School of Law on Accounting for Lawyers. He has lectured at various professional associations, including at the 2010 Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, at the 2010 Wells Fargo Conference on establishing operations overseas, at the 2007 FICPA Accounting Conference on International Tax, and in 2004 and 2005 at the CPAmerica Tax Conferences. He has also appeared on Comcast Newsmakers and Univision TV Networks as a special commentator on tax issues.
A well-respected author, Miguel has published articles in international tax journals such as "Guia basica del Regimen Fiscal Estadounidense para el Inversionista Venezolano" ("US Tax Guide for Venezuelan Investors"), Revista de Derecho Tributario de Venezuela, and "Lo que Todo Inversor Mexicano Debe Saber Sobre la Limited Liability Company (LLC)" (What every Mexican Investor should know about LLC's) for the Public Accounting Institute of Mexico.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) - Treasurer
- United Way of Miami-Dade - Chairman
- University of Miami - President's Council; Accounting Advisory Board
- UM Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Institute - Board of Governors
- Miami Dade College Foundation - Past Chairman
- US-Cuba Democracy Political Action Committee (PAC) - Director
- Camillus House, Inc. - Director
- Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart - Past Treasurer
- Children's Foundation of Greater Miami - Past Chairman
- Children's Home Society of Florida - Past Treasurer
- Dade Partners for Safe Neighborhoods - Past Treasurer
- Miami Museum of Science - Past Member of the Board
- Palmer School, Inc. - Past Board of Trustees Member
- Ransom Everglades School - Annual Giving Campaign, Past Chairman
- American Diabetes Association - Father of the Year, 2012
- Miami Dade College - Alumni Hall of Fame, 2009
- Ronald McDonald House - Twelve Good Men
- Excellence in Accounting in International Tax - South Florida Business Journal, 2005
- University of Miami - Juris Doctor
- University of Miami - Bachelor of Business Administration (Magna Cum Laude)