Miguel G. Farra
CPA, JD, Tax and Accounting Chairman
Miguel G. Farra, CPA, JD, is the Chairman of the Tax and Accounting Department at MBAF and leads the Tax and Accounting practices and professionals for our 9 offices. Miguel has over 37 years of experience in the areas of tax planning and compliance, consulting, mergers and acquisition, accounting and audit services for domestic and international businesses.
He has wide industry experience that includes, automotive dealerships, aviation, electronic commerce, financial institutions, healthcare, hospitality, manufacturing, real estate, technology and wholesale/distribution. Miguel has been involved in corporate reorganizations, international tax and corporate structures, tax planning for real estate developers and income and estate planning for high net worth individuals.
Miguel leads a team of international tax professionals dedicated to forensic accounting on voluntary disclosure cases, pre-immigration planning, inbound and outbound corporate structures to minimize worldwide taxation and international tax compliance.
He also specializes in tax compliance for banks and bank holding companies and the tax consequences of failed financial institutions receiving federal financial assistance from the FDIC pursuant to Internal Revenue Code Section 597.
Miguel has forensic experience on numerous tax controversies and as an expert witness on divorce and commercial litigation cases. He is a qualified expert with the United States Tax Court, Miami-Dade County Circuit Court, and the Broward County Circuit Court.
Miguel has lectured at the University of Miami School of Law on Accounting for Lawyers. He has lectured at various professional associations, including at the 2010 Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, at the 2010 Wells Fargo Conference on establishing operations overseas, at the 2007 FICPA Accounting Conference on International Tax, and in 2004 and 2005 at the CPAmerica Tax Conferences. He has also appeared on Comcast Newsmakers and Univision TV Networks as a special commentator on tax issues.
Miguel has published articles in international tax journals such as “Guia basica del Regimen Fiscal Estadounidense para el Inversionista Venezolano” (“US Tax Guide for Venezuelan Investors”), Revista de Derecho Tributario de Venezuela, and “Lo que Todo Inversor Mexicano Debe Saber Sobre la Limited Liability Company (LLC)” (What every Mexican Investor should know about LLC's) for the Public Accounting Institute of Mexico.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) - Miami Branch Treasurer
- United Way of Miami-Dade - Chairman-Elect; Tocqueville Society Co-Chair
- University of Miami - President's Council; Accounting Advisory Board
- UM Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Institute - Board of Governors
- US-Cuba Democracy Political Action Committee (PAC) - Director
- Camillus House, Inc. - Director
- International Wine & Food Society - Treasurer
- Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart - Past Treasurer
- Children's Foundation of Greater Miami - Past Chairman
- Children's Home Society of Florida - Past Treasurer
- Dade Partners for Safe Neighborhoods - Past Treasurer
- Miami Dade College Foundation - Past Chairman
- Miami Museum of Science - Past Member of the Board
- Palmer School, Inc. - Past Board of Trustees Member
- Ransom Everglades School - Annual Giving Campaign, Past Chairman
- American Diabetes Association - Father of the Year, 2012
- Miami Dade College - Alumni Hall of Fame, 2009
- Ronald McDonald House - Twelve Good Men
- Excellence in Accounting in International Tax - South Florida Business Journal, 2005
- University of Miami - Juris Doctor
- University of Miami - Bachelor of Business Administration (Magna Cum Laude)